Pro Bono Manager / Supervising Attorney
San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program is seeking a Pro Bono Manager and Supervising Attorney to work as an integral part of our leadership team. The Pro Bono Manager will be responsible for supervising staff, recruiting legal volunteers, directing the placement of pro bono cases, developing pro bono recruitment and training materials, supervising the legal work of pro bono attorneys, developing and managing a wide range of volunteer projects, and developing partnership opportunities with law firms and in-house law departments, law schools, colleges, bar associations and the judiciary. The Manager is also responsible for ensuring and safeguarding the integrity of SDVLP’s volunteer and client database files through the development and application of quality control procedures. Independent and responsible judgment and initiative are required in all facets of the position.
Applicants for this position should possess the following minimum qualifications: must be a member in good standing of the California Bar; must have a minimum of eight years as a practicing attorney, which includes substantial litigation experience; must have demonstrated organizational, administrative and technological skills, including knowledge of basic computer and database programs; must have proven experience in supervision and mentoring of less experienced attorneys and of support staff; must have a strong commitment to serve disadvantaged, low-income individuals and families; and the ability to project a favorable image of the program in public relations activities, resulting in widespread community support and a positive reputation.
The essential duties of this position are as follows:
- Coordinates the recruitment, training, mentoring and recognition of volunteers, including attorneys, law students, paralegals and others;
- Develops, sustains, and expands relationships with law firms, corporations, bar associations, and the judiciary, including the design and implementation of pro bono projects;
- Supervises the collection and analysis of volunteer and client data; the development and application of quality control/evaluation tools; and the use of technology to improve the delivery of services;
- Counsels, advises and supervises less experienced professional staff in their effective representation of clients, such as trial preparation, drafting of legal documents, discovery, and effective research, and provides back-up representation as necessary and appropriate;
- Initiates and maintains cooperative working relationships with local, state and national bar associations, other legal services programs, state and federal courts, charitable organizations and governmental agencies serving the poor, and the legal and corporate communities that support SDVLP programs and services;
- Informs and advises the Chief Executive Officer on relevant issues pertaining to pro bono and legal services programs at the local, state and national levels;
- Implements and oversees administrative procedures essential for the operation of SDVLP components, (i.e. ensures that conflict of interest checks are conducted, ensures that necessary client and statistical information is compiled, ensures compliance with grant reporting and other requirements, etc.);
- Assists in obtaining necessary funding support to provide pro bono services and maintains amiable relationships with all funding sources;
- Coordinates SDVLP’s participation in the Veterans Stand Down event, and other community outreach events.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.